Carbon Monoxide Detectors Save Lives!!

Dated: 09/25/2013

Views: 220

As we get nearer to fall and people start turning on their furnaces, I want to share with you the story of when our furnace's heat exchanger cracked. It was just before Christmas 2004 when we were awakened in the very early morning by a piercing sound in the living room, which turned out to be our carbon monoxide detector. We had just driven back from a long trip to Colorado the night before, and easily could have slept a few more hours. Thanks to the detector, though, we didn't. According to the firemen, who found very high levels of the deadly carbon monoxide gas in our home, the carbon monoxide detector saved the lives of me, my family, and our two Labradors. Just a couple more hours, they said, and we'd have perished. And our furnace had been checked out only a couple of months prior. 

We were prepared, and very blessed. If you have any gas appliances in your home, you should have at least one carbon monoxide detector in the place where you spend the most time. I recommend one near the family room and another near the master bedroom - both near where air flows freely in the house. I try to tell this story to everyone I can each year. This spring, I received the following message from a friend:

"Thanks to you sharing your story, David, we've been cautious and we put a carbon monoxide detector in the rental we are staying in. A water heater was replaced yesterday and the detector sounded off last night. I'm sure we would all be dead had we not had that detector. Don't stop sharing your story and now you can add to it. I didn't sleep at all last night!"
 
I was elated to receive that message, as you can imagine. Sadly, we know of another family on a ski vacation in Colorado that was not so fortunate. The home they were renting did not have a carbon monoxide detector, and they all were lost. It happens far more frequently than we realize, tragically. 
Sometimes it's the little things that matter most. Our carbon monoxide detector, which we thought little of, is the reason I can write this story today. If you are already armed with the detectors, when did you last test them, or their batteries? Or the batteries in your smoke detectors? Please prepare yourself, and tell your friends and family to get/check their detectors as well!

Blog author image

David Roney

I love helping people transact real estate, honestly! Providing excellent service, honest insight, and offering a perspective from my experience in construction that 90% of agents don't have allows me....

Latest Blog Posts

Carbon Monoxide Detectors Save Lives!!

As we get nearer to fall and people start turning on their furnaces, I want to share with you the story of when our furnace's heat exchanger cracked. It was just before Christmas 2004 when we were

Read More

Welcome to the New Website!

Hi all!Welcome to our new website! I'll be posting things from time to time, but the best place to get real estate related information is probably on my Facebook page.Thanks

Read More